If you’re like most business owners, you’ve created a blog to help build your company or brand, showcase products, or share knowledge. It requires consistent blogging of high-quality content to build and maintain awareness surrounding your brand, widen your customer base, and keep readers coming back for more. Obviously, consistently blog is very time-consuming. If you hire a freelance blogger, especially an experienced content writer to provide you will well-researched, great content for your blog. This will definitely give you more time to focus on the bigger picture tasks of running your business.
If it’s time to hire a freelance blogger but the process of it all seems like a daunting task, this guide will help you find and hire the best freelance blogger for your team.
- Step 1: How to hire a freelance blogger (experience, content writer salary, writing style, blog topics, etc)
- Step 2: Where are the best places to find a freelance blogger
- Then, step 3: How to write an effective job description (use our free checklist to help you)
- Step 4: The interview process and onboarding
- Lastly, step 5: The trial process
How to hire a freelance blogger
Before we jump into what you should look for when hiring a blogger, you need to consider what you are looking for. This person will be writing on behave of your business and your brand. So, for example, are you looking for more informational topics written around your industry, or are you looking for more of a ghostwriter that will showcase more of who you are and what your brand is.
If your blog is a space for sharing knowledge and opinions, you will more than likely want continuous, uniquely, high-quality content. If this is the case you may decide to hire a content creator to join your team to help take on the work.
Like Neil Patel says [source], “You can build your blog around posting awesome content, rather than one particular personality.”
If you are writing white papers, eBooks, or more personal content from time to time then you want to look to hire a freelance blogger that also has those attributes of being able to write with your voice or tone of your brand.
When hiring a freelance blogger to create high-quality content for you want to look for specific qualities so that you can hire the best possible freelance blogger to join your team.
Qualities to look for when hiring a freelance blogger
A freelance blogger must be willing to learn everything there is to know and understand about your business or brand. They should be able to carry out in-depth research to write unique posts in a conversational tone. You should also look for someone who is able to function independently, follow a content calendar or be able to create one.
However, below are just a few qualities you will more than likely want in hiring a freelance blogger. You might also want to discuss some of these qualities in the interview process. Keep reading to learn about the interview process, which is explained more in-depth in another section.
- Good work ethic
- Strong writing skillset
- Knowledge of SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Be able to write in different tones
- Ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills with management and clients
- Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously
- Have a strong writing ability and technical knowledge in a few specific industries
- Strong grammar, editing, proofreading skills
- Have a passion for writing
- Be able to follow company guidelines, outlines, and meet deadlines
- Have the ability to be creative in different writing styles
- Have the ability to thoroughly research a variety of writing topics
- Be able to come up with a varity of well-researched topics
- Be able to provide and write high-quality, engaging, and reader friendly content
Where are the best places to hire a freelance blogger
While it sounds pretty straightforward, learning how to hire a freelance blogger can be challenging. On your path to finding the best fit for your business or brand, you might have to test out a few freelancers bloggers, in the beginning. Don’t get discouraged if the first few bloggers don’t work out as you had hoped. You will find someone who will be a good fit for your team.
To help you get started on your search, here are a few great ideas to start your search for freelance bloggers for hire;
1. Use Social Media
Social media is used in so many more ways than just entertainment and news. Freelancers utilize their profiles on social media to display their portfolios and work experiences to make it easy for employers to find them. LinkedIn and Twitter are good places to start. If you are looking for a team of content writers you can also use social media to set up hiring ads to target freelance bloggers that are looking for a new project or position.
If you know other companies or brands who have successfully outsourced their writing jobs, ask them to refer their top pick to you. Then you can interview them to see if they would be a good fit for your business or brand.
3. Content websites to hire a freelance blogger
Upwork and Fiverr are popular websites that bridge the gap between freelance bloggers and employers like yourself. You will probably have to filter and interview a few freelance bloggers to find a good fit for your blog, but it’s a good place to start. You can set up your business or brand profile, create ads, filter freelancers, interview, and more.
4. Content marketing agencies to hire a freelance blogger
If you have a larger budget, you could consider hiring Content Beast, to match your business with an exceptional freelance blogger. Content Beast works with top freelancers and provides high-quality unique content for your business or brand.
5. Relevant topics and competitor blogs
If you’re serious about creating good content, read through posts on competitor blogs and always keep up with relevant topics surrounding your industry. Not only will you find interesting perspectives to improve your blog on, and new topics to write about, but you can find freelance bloggers that have written posts on those websites.
6. Advertize on your blog to hire freelance bloggers
Include a small link that invites bloggers to apply to be a part of your business or brand. It can be as simple as setting up an email address to apply.
How to write an effective job description
When writing your job description, you want to make your business or brand attractive to freelance bloggers. You should also be as specific as you can about the qualities you are looking for. Here are a few helpful tips that you can use to help you write your an intriguing and appealing job description.
- Write an engaging description to introduction your business or brand: A potiential freelance blogger will be interested to know a little bit about the company and who you are. Make sure you intro is as friendly and inviting to your potiential candidates.
- Clearly state the qualification you need in your ideal writer: Write down all the qualities are you specifically looking for in a freelance blogger. Refer to the list above to help you decide on what you are looking for. Keep in mind that even some of the top candidates may not tick every box off your list of requirements.
- Summary your content strategy: Include project details and writer’s responsibilties for your content strategy. Also include a few links to your own blog so that a potiental candiate can see your writing style, tone, and blog topics.
- Ask for writing examples and previous experinence: This is so important because it gives you an understand not only types of projects a writer has done but also their quality of work.
- Be clear as to what the interview process will be: This is something you want to think about when hiring freelance bloggers. Write out the most important questions you will want to ask them as you write your job description. Also think about setting up a writing assignment as part of the interview process. You will know right away if this freelance blogger would be a good fit to join to you team.
- Be a friendly and transparent as possible in your job description. People can tell from your tone what it would be like to work for your business or brand.
Use this How to Hire Excellent Content Writers checklist below to help you write your job description and set up your interview process so you can hire the best freelance bloggers for your team.
The interview process and onboarding
Once you have found a few freelance bloggers that you are interested in hiring you want to set up an efficient and smooth interview process. The checklist above can help you but you want to make sure you include the following in your interview and onboarding process.
- Set up a specific time for the interview and details instructions on how the interview will take places.
- Include any specifics the interviewee should bring to the interview (link to portfolio, writing samples, etc)
- Have a list of questions ready for your potiental freelance blogger. Here are a few example questions you might want to include;
- Tell us about yourself?
- What do you think are the essential components of good web content?
- What do you enjoy most about writing?
- How do you go about following a content strategy for a client/brand? Research, etc.
- How do you ensure the credibility of the information?
- Tell us something that is unique about your writing style?
- What type of writing are you most comfortable with?
- What is your proofreading process?
- As a remote content writer, how do you feel about working as a team?
- Describe your work ethic?
- At our company, we have specific processes for writing and developing content for our clients, is that something you feel like you can follow?
- What questions do you have for us?
- Set up a writing test (pitch a blog topic, along with a short description, and provide your content strategy for them to follow)
- If they pass the interview and writing test start onboarding your new freelance blogger. Create a simple onboarding documment for them to follow. Here are a few things you might want to include;
- A welcome intro to the team
- Preferred communication (email, slack, zoom call, etc)
- Your content strategy
- Company style guidelines
- Topics and focus keywords
- How to submit content
- Freelance blogger contract
- Content deadlines and content calendar
- Present your new freelance blogger with their first project
- Remind them to ask any questions before beginning the project, make sure they understand the guidelines and all the details you have provided.
The trial process
As mentioned before, not all your freelance bloggers will work out. Some might not show up for the interview or you might not like the content submitted back from their writing test. Don’t get discouraged. It’s important to keep looking and keep your interview and onboarding process as efficient as possible.
After your freelancer has submitted back their first piece of content. Review it thoroughly for grammar, spelling, authenticity, copyright images, etc. Also make sure your writer followed your guidelines and project details.
You might want to set up a quick call to review their first piece of content. First, thank them for their hard work and then offer your critiques and suggestions for their next project. It’s important to set the tone for what you expect right away. After all, you want to make sure you are creating high-quality content for your blog.
Thank you for taking the time to read through our guide on how to hire a freelance blogger. We hope you found this helpful and that you will be able to find great quality freelance bloggers to hire. Make sure to use our free checklists to help you with your search.
Please feel free to contact Content Beast for writing opportunities. If you are looking for exceptional writers to provide you with high-quality content please visit our website, contentbeast.com.